Wednesday, November 28, 2007

2007 NOLA Bookfair

Hey all,

So if you've been in the vicinity of Planet Earth for the past few months you know we went to the 2007 NOLA Book fair. First up thanks to everyone who sent us stuff. Everything we've got on hand should be on the website by Monday. Our webmaster has been off somewhere with thumb up butt. (In case you didn't know that's me.)
Magazine St.
I think my favorite phrase the whole time I was there was "I love this city." Seriously, I do. I've loved it since I was a kid. Even the dirty grimy parts. Especially the dirty grimy parts. In fact, I have no idea why I'm not living there now. The city looks more like itself every day but if you ask me about the Lower Nine I'll tell you I don't know because unlike every other gawking tourist, I haven't been. I don't see the point. But we couldn't avoid New Orleans East since I-10 rides right through it. Third time I've ridden into the city through there since the storm. First time I haven't flat out cried.

We spent Friday wandering around in the Garden District. After we hit the camera store of course. There was this beautiful church we spent time taking pictures of. After that we piled back into the car and headed for the French Quarter. Mike bought a cigar and shared it with Rob and Clay. I had a cheap hurricane. We walked down to Jackson Square and watched people leaving a storybook wedding complete with horse and carriage while all around us were these little tables featuring various flavors of fortune tellers. And down the block was a Wiccan wedding rehearsal. If New Orleans is nothing else, it is the definition of diversity.

Mike and the Cigar
The next day we were out at the book fair. We got in early and helped set up tables. As usual Rob put us all to shame with his amazing super get things done skills. We were crammed in behind a table with three other groups of people at the front of Ray's Boom Boom Room. If you've ever wondered what a sea of humanity looked like you would have had a perfect example. There were all these different kinds of zines and books and people from all over. It was amazing. And then to top it all off there was a brass band. At the end of the day, Rob put us to shame again tearing down. After which we did the only thing there was left to do... Hit the Quarter again.
DSC01935
DSC02002
We had dinner at this restaurant called Coops, mine was shrimp etouffee with a mango mohito. This time instead of strip clubs, excuse me cabarets, we found tons of shops selling everything from pipes to old records. We eventually made our way back to the hotel to change before heading back out to the after party.Somewhere around 3 AM I think, we found ourselves in an IHOP. Needless to say, there was no chance we were making it out the door at sunrise with cameras. What were we thinking.We did manage a third trip into the French Quarter though. And after my encounter with the snake jerk pried us away from Jackson Square we finally started heading out. But before we even managed to hit the interstate we were all missing New Orleans. Man I love that city.
DSC02036
There's more pictures on my flickr account: http://flickr.com/photos/crownjewel82/collections/72157603176892416/

Enjoy!

No comments: