Friday, November 23, 2007

Zine Review: I am the City #1

I wrote this a little while back as a review and to a certain extend I still believe the author gives up credability by being snarking for the sake of seeming clever. That said, I recommend this zine and its following up. Its well written, for the most part, and smart. And I apoligize to the author for being guilty of the same, perhaps less thoughtful snideness. -Mike

My previous review:
I think I paid a buck for this zine at the NOLA Book Fair and, ignoring the very cool gate fold cover the gives up the title a few words at a time as you open it, this zines i a half assed feminist critique of "pillowing" and a look at protest songs now and way the fuck back when. Both suffer from overblown partisanship but fuck that because they're still pretty entertaining. This is definitely a good read if you're a 20-ish girl who wants to move to NYC, she includes some anecdotal stories unrelated to the waxing, who wants to move to the city and learn to love it and then hate it and then love it again. Good art direction and design. Not sure where to buy it but if you see at your local distro table, buy it and read it. I'm mostly an asshole. I'll post the address if I can find it.

No comments: